The Experimental Demonstration Center (EDC) is under construction at the Mining and Chemical Combine, Zheleznogorsk to test advanced and environmentally safe technologies for the VVER-1000 SNF reprocessing. The first start-up facilities were constructed in December 2015. Among them is an SFA segmentation cell where fuel rods are pulled out of a fuel assembly and cut into pieces for subsequent dissolution.
Sosny engineers designed and fabricated a radiation monitoring system (RMS) for the SFA segmentation cell.
The RMS functions are as follows:
- monitor gamma radiation dose rate in the SFA segmentation cell and the pre-filters with a gamma detector,
- activate alarms in case the emergency reference levels are exceeded and indicate the current ADER,
- monitor alpha- and beta-emitting activity of aerosols in the atmosphere and on the inner surfaces of the SFA segmentation cell.
The volumetric activity of alpha- and beta-emitting aerosols is monitored upstream and downstream of the aerosol filters. Sosny designed a system for duct sampling upstream and downstream of the aerosol pre-filter. Samples are drawn continuously through a local particulate filter. The sampling system design included the following calculations:
- pressure drop in the sampling system to select equipment and its operating parameters,
- diameter of the probe nozzle to ensure the air sample isokineticity and representativity,
- loss of the aerosol particles in the air sampling system to determine the actual aerosol concentration.
Views count: 404