Design and Development Division
Head of Division
The Design and Development Division incorporates three departments:
- Design Engineering Department,
- Structural Engineering Department,
- Process Engineering Department.
The division has a staff of 56 engineers.
The division deals with the following tasks:
- development of design documentation consistent with input requirements, technical specifications, the Unified System of Design Documentation, and the industry's norms and standards,
- development of design and detailed design documentation for construction, reconstruction, retrofitting, and upgrading of buildings, installations, and complexes in compliance with input requirements, design assignment, design and construction documentation, regulatory requirements, and industry standards,
- management and engineering support of contracts for development and fabrication of equipment for nuclear facilities,
- development of process documents for nuclear facilities,
- design feasibility studies,
- design analysis by generally accepted methods,
- acquisition of information and customer feedback on the reliability of the equipment developed,
- analysis of the product for the correctness of engineering solutions, performance, appropriateness of the materials selected, and preparation of improvement proposals,
- patent research and determination of the engineering level of the equipment designed,
- the developer's supervision of the fabrication process, supervised installation, mounting, adjustment, testing, start-up activities at the operating site, the customer's personnel training in the equipment operation.
These activities require interactions with other Company departments and project participants (the customer, the research supervisor, engineering, construction, and installation companies).
The experts of the Design and Development Division completed more than 100 projects to develop:
- auxiliary equipment for pre-shipment handling of the spent fuel to include the damaged one (grapples, tilters, transfer casks, canisters, working platforms, etc.),
- radioactive material transport packagings, including those for air shipments,
- various equipment for hydrometallurgical and pyrochemical reprocessing of the spent fuel,
- test equipment for shielded cells,
- shielded glove boxes with in-box process equipment,
- power manipulators,
- shielded cells,
- automated fuel assembling line,
- facilities for pressing, carbothermal synthesis, and sintering of nitride fuel pellets,
- series production (shut-off valves, valve shielding units, pumps, etc.) and many others.