If required, the Sosny experts develop equipment and tools for handling and loading the spent fuel into casks to prepare it for transportation to reprocessing or storage facilities. The equipment includes:
- transfer casks for loading spent fuel assemblies into transport casks,
- transport overpack for multi-modal shipments of the TUK-19 casks,
- TUK-145/C - Type C package for transportation of radioactive material by aircraft,
- SFA cutters.
When the health of the spent fuel excludes handling by a standard procedure, special equipment is developed. The Sosny experts have been involved in the following projects:
- elimination of consequences of the fuel destruction at the Paks NPP, Hungary,
- preparation and removal of the RA reactor SNF from Vinca Institute, Serbia,
- preparation of the SNF from the AMB-100 and AMB-200 reactors for transportation and reprocessing,
- assessment of a feasibility and practicality of reprocessing non-conforming RBMK SNF at Mayak PA,
- improving safety of storage conditions for the spent fuel from the EGP-6 reactors at the Bilibino NPP,
- preparation and removal of the spent fuel from SSC IPPE.